oooooh where to begin!?!?!?!?!?!??!
Welllll.....As you all should know by now, I am a bzzagent (when I am not parenting, crocheting, knitting, or waxing philosophic!). I took this campaign awhile back, and so far, I am impressed, although I am playing catch up with the reading (SO many projects, SO little time!!). I receive a Kindle copy of each book published (and occassionally a hard copy of the book!!) in exchange for my continued opinion on the project. I am really enjoying this "no middle man" approach, and the bare bones style that ENGAGES me....and the books are INCREDIBLY inspiring to me (so far) to be what I can be, and to know that I am the master of my own domain (YES, that is a reference to that Seinfeld episode, but get yer trashy mind out of the gutter, I'm talking about taking charge of my life ). I LOVE what he has written so far, but my absolute FAVORITE inclusion in this project (SO FAR) is Self Reliance , which is a redefining the classic essay. This modern edition of Ralph Waldo Emerson’s most famous work, Self-Reliance, includes self-reflections from both historical and contemporary luminaries. With quotes from the likes of Henry Ford and Helen Keller to modern-day thought leaders like Jesse Dylan, Steve Pressfield, and Milton Glaser, we’re reminded of the relevance of Emerson’s powerful words today. Emerson’s words are timeless. Persuasive and convincing, he challenges readers to define their own sense of accomplishment and asks them to measure themselves against their own standards, not those of society.
This famous orator has utter faith in individualism and doesn’t invoke beyond what is humanly possible, he just believes deeply that each of us is capable of greatness. He asks us to define that greatness for ourselves and to be true to ourselves. At times harsh, at times comforting, Emerson’s words guide the reader to challenge their own beliefs and sense of self. This modern edition of Self-Reliance is ideal for graduates or those who are in the midst of a career or lifestyle change. Emerson’s sage guidance wrapped in modern-day reflections is a great reminder about the potential within us all and that life is what you make of it. Ultimately, you really have to pull from within to realize that you are what you need most in this life....Basic tenets of The Domino Project .
About The Domino Project
What happens when a publisher has a tight, direct connection with readers, is able to produce intellectual property that spreads, and can do both quickly and at low cost? A new kind of publishing, the brainchild of Seth Godin, and powered by Amazon.
The Domino Project is named after the domino effect—one powerful idea spreads down the line, pushing from person to person. The Project represents a fundamental shift in the way books (and digital media based on books) have always been published. Eventually consisting of a small cadre of stellar authors, this is a publishing house organized around a new distribution channel, one that wasn’t even a fantasy when most publishers began.
We are reinventing what it means to be a publisher, and along the way, spreading ideas that we’re proud to spread. Our core beliefs:
- Exceptionally high quality ideas, created without regard for what bookstores and middlemen want.
- Ideas packaged with cogency and urgency in mind, not a word wasted, no filler.
- Permission at the heart of the model. Ideas for our readers, not more readers for our ideas.
- Virality first. An idea that requires a direct sale won’t thrive in a world where the most powerful ideas spread from hand to hand. Create content that works best when spread, and then package it so it’s easy to spread.
- Reward the sneezers who stand up and spread these ideas.
- No patience for obsolete institutions. Bestseller lists are not worth compromising for.
- Speed triumphs. Rapid time to market, rapid evolution, rapid response to reader feedback.
- Format agnostic. Kindle, audiobook, paperback, collectible… all good.
- Different products for different customers. A variety of price points and formats to match audience desires.
I HIGHLY recommend at LEAST